Contact Goodwins

Complete this form and one of our expert team will be in touch to discuss how we can help

Any details or information provided will at all times remain strictly confidential.

If you can't see your preferred date, you will be able to provide further details on the next step.

Additional date and time

Step 1 of 2

Step 2 of 2

Home » Advice Centre » How To Get Divorced in the UK if you Married in Las Vegas

How To Get Divorced in the UK if you Married in Las Vegas

Posted on: 29 December 2022 by Goodwins Family Law Solicitors

If you were married in Las Vegas but are having second thoughts about the marriage, you needn’t return to the States to get a divorce. As long as you are domiciled and/or habited in the UK, you can get divorced here, though there are a few extra steps required.

In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of divorcing in the UK if you married in Las Vegas. Goodwins can help you through the entire process — without a single Elvis impersonator in sight.

How to get divorced in the UK if married in Las Vegas | Goodwins Family Law

Is my marriage registered in the UK?

Your marriage will be registered in the US if you get married in Las Vegas. However, as long as you or your partner is either habitually resident or domiciled in the UK, it does not matter that the marriage was not registered here. It also doesn’t matter what nationality you or your partner are. All that matters is that you are domiciled or habitually resident in the UK. 

To find out more about habitual residence, see our article here.

Can I divorce without registering?

It used to be the case that you needed to deposit your marriage certificate in the General Register Office (GRO). However, there is now no legal requirement to deposit your foreign marriage or civil partnership certificate with the GRO, or to have your marriage/civil partnership recorded in the UK. The deposit of a foreign certificate does not make the marriage legal in the UK, nor does it ‘recognise’ the marriage as a valid one.

Can I get remarried in the UK without a divorce?

You must go through a divorce before you can remarry in the UK. Even though your marriage isn’t registered here, it is still legally recognised and prevents you from getting remarried until you obtain a legal divorce.

How do I start the process?

You can start the divorce process the same way you would if you had married in the UK. 

We recommend contacting a professional divorce lawyer to guide you through the divorce process.


At Goodwins Family Law Solicitors, we have a number of lawyers that specialise in divorce. Working with compassion, professionalism and care, our lawyers will guide you through the divorce process and steer you towards a favourable outcome. As a member of the Law Society and an excellent client satisfaction rate, you can trust the team at Goodwins to help you through your divorce.

Contact our team today to find out how we can help you.


Goodwins Family Law Solicitors is a registered company in England. © Goodwins Family Law Solicitors 2024. All Rights Reserved.

Adtrak Logo

By clicking "Accept All Cookies", you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, assist in our marketing efforts, and for personalised advertising.

More Information Accept All Cookies