FAQ: My partner and I divorced overseas, can I bring a financial claim in England?
You can bring a financial claim in England if you divorced overseas, but only if the divorce satisfies the following conditions:
- Your divorce must be recognised as legally valid in England.
- You must not have remarried.
- You must have a sufficient connection with England.
The following is a non-exhaustive list that satisfies a ‘sufficient connection’ with England:
- Either party is domiciled in England at the time of foreign divorce or at the time of the application.
- Either party has resided in England for 12 months at the time of the foreign divorce or at the time of the application.
One party has an interest in a dwelling house in England which had been a matrimonial home.
If you would like to arrange an initial fixed fee consultation regarding divorce proceedings, you can get in touch with us today for a confidential discussion and we’ll be happy to help. Our offices are conveniently based in Harrow, London, with on site car parking and accessible from public transport links. Alternatively, if you are overseas we can arrange a Skype call with you if it is more convenient.