Contact Goodwins

Although we do not undertake legal aid work there are many different ways to fund your case.

Any details or information provided will at all times remain strictly confidential.

Home » Advice Centre » FAQ: What is the difference between civil partnership dissolution and divorce?

FAQ: What is the difference between civil partnership dissolution and divorce?

Posted on: 24 October 2017 by Goodwins Family Law Solicitors

Civil partnership dissolution and the divorce process differ in a number of ways, but there are also some similarities. In order to dissolve a civil partnership, a dissolution order must be obtained, whereas a divorce requires a decree nisi to end some parts of the marriage, and a decree absolute to totally end the marriage. A marriage can be ended on certain grounds, which are:

  • Adultery
  • Unreasonable behaviour
  • Desertion for more than 2 years
  • Separation for more than 2 years (requires consent from respondent)
  • Separation for more than 5 years (does not require consent)

Civil partnerships cannot be dissolved on the grounds of adultery, but otherwise they adhere to the grounds that marriages do.

If you would like to arrange an initial fixed fee consultation regarding civil partnerships, you can get in touch with us today.  Goodwins Family Law Solicitors are always happy to help. Our offices are conveniently based in Harrow, London, with on site car parking and accessible from public transport links. Alternatively, if you are overseas we can arrange a Skype call with you if it is more convenient.

Goodwins Family Law Solicitors is a registered company in England. © Goodwins Family Law Solicitors 2022. All Rights Reserved.

Adtrak Logo

By clicking "Accept All Cookies", you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, assist in our marketing efforts, and for personalised advertising.

More Information Accept All Cookies